Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Product Less Used - CoverGirl Smoky Shadow Blast

"The Product Less Used" is going to be a series of blog posts which I review some of my products in my collection which have gone unnoticed for quite some time and I have recently rediscovered. I have a lot of products I purchased and use nonstop and then found a similar product (and sometimes better) which took it's spot. Or sometimes I purchase a product with the best intentions, and then it doesn't quite work out. Sometimes I find another way to use it, and sometimes I just forget about a it! This series will go in dept on certain products and why I recently started using them again, and why I stopped using them in the first place!


I'm starting this series with the CoverGirl Smoky Shadow Blast. I bought this item in "Citrus Flair" a year ago- before I saw all the reviews on how bad it creased. At that time I did not know about setting all creamy liquid products with a powder. I was so confused as to why it would crease even when I applied an eye shadow primer. I stopped using it for quite some time because I was fed up with it's staying power. It was very disappointing because the colors were gorgeous! Here are some swatches:
With flash.
Without flash.
So what do I use this product for now? I use it as a base. After applying a primer I will apply a small amount of the green or copper and blend it out. Over that I use shadow and I find that there is very little creasing after an eight hour work day (although other cream products I use provide zero creasing). Whats unfortunate is that this product is advertised to be used alone. Drew Barrymore is shown applying this and having the perfect smoky eye all night...I would never recommend that. Not only with this product but with any cream shadows. I'm sure that I am not alone being someone who picked this up thinking it would be a one-step product with amazing results. It's quite shocking that they have been advertising it the same way for over a year now considering all the bad reviews this product gets.
Would I repurchase this product? Yes, if I found it on clearance because for around $6 it is not worth it. Because of the false advertising and disappointment with this product I have also shied away from all other products in the ShadowBlast line.
Overall I would give this product 2.5 out of 5 stars. It's not a totally unusable product, but in no way can you use it for what it's intended for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...